These carrot cupcakes are moist and delicious. I put a lot of batter in each muffin tin, and I got huge cupcakes, something I like to call muffin cakes.
The recipe also doesn't require a hand mixer! In total, this recipe took me 30 minutes-from beginning to end. [Not including baking time.]
Honestly, the hardest part was to grate the carrots. I kept getting worried I'd nick a finger on the grater.
Originally, I was going to add a cream cheese frosting, but after trying them, they were full of flavor and I decided that it was tasty with the cupcake alone :)
Makes 12 cupcakes
Adapted from Joy of Baking
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or raisins work)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 2/3 cup canola, vegetable, or sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (If using sweetened, reduce sugar amount to 1/3 cup)
- 1 1/3 cup finely grated raw carrots (approx. 3 large carrots)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit. Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with a non stick spray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts into a bowl and whisk it together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the two eggs and add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the applesauce and carrots to the liquid mixture.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until combined. Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 full.
- Put the cupcakes in the oven for 20-23 minutes, checking at fifteen minutes.